JUNIOR PHILATELISTS ON THE INTERNET
United States Postage Stamps
Regular, Commementive, Memorial Issues
Air Mail Stamps
United States Postage Stamps
1847 through 1947 ~ The first 100 years
GENERAL OGlETHORPE COMMEMORATIVE STAMP (3-CENT)-ISSUE OF 1933
This special issue of postage stamps was authorized to commemorate the two hundredth anniversary of the settlement of Georgia, and in honor of General Oglethorpe, the founder of the colony.
The stamp is of the same size as the regular issue, 75/100 by 87/100 inch in dimension, without border, and is printed in purple ink. In a horizontill line across the top of the stamp in shaded Roman letters are the words "United States postage." The central subject of the stamp is the likeness of General Oglethorpe, wearing a coat of armor. In each lower corner, within an upright rectangular panel with tinted face and narrow white-line border, is the large numeral "3" in white Roman. In a narrow panel at the bottom of the stamp is the word "Cents" in white Roman. On a white panel directly above the base panel is the name "General Oglethorpe" in dark Gothic letters. On each side of the head, arranged perpendicularly, are the dates "1733" at the left and "1933" at the right.
The General Oglethorpe commemorative stamp was first placed on sale February 12, 1933, at the post office in Savannah, Ga.
PROCLAMATION OF PEACE COMMEMORATIVE STAMP (3-CENT)-ISSUE OF 1933
This special stamp commemorates the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the issuance by General Washington of the official order containing the proclamation of peace, marking, officially, the ending of hostilities in the war for independence.
The stamp is the same size as the regular issue, 70/100 by 87/100 inch in dimension. The stamp is enolosed in a narrow doubleline border and is printed in purple ink. At the top of the stamp in a narrow panel with solid background and ornamental ends are the words "U. S. postage" in white Roman. Underneath this panel in three lines is the inscription "Washington's Headquarters, Newburgh, N.Y., 1783-1933" in small dark Gothic lettering. The central design is a representation of the Hasbrouck House at Newburgh, N.Y., used as headquarters by General Washington at the time the proclamation was issued. The Hudson River is pictured at the left of the house and in the background are ranges of hills following the course of the river. In the lower right corner of the central design is a large tree with rocks and plants around the base. In the opposite lower corner is a cannon partly hidden by shrubbery. In front and to the left of the house is a staff bearing a flag representing the first Stars and Stripes. The large numeral "3" in dark Gothic is enclosed within a shield-shaped panel with light background at the center of the lower edge. On each side of the panel containing the denomination numeral is a ribbon with folded ends bearing the words "Three" at the left and "Cents" at the right.
The Proclamation of Peace commemorative stamp was first placed on sale April 19, 1933, at the post office in Newburgh, N.Y.
CHICAGO CENTURY OF PROGRESS EXPOSITION COMMEMORATIVE STAMPS (1-CENT AND 3-CENT)-ISSUE OF 1933
This special issue of stamps commemorated the Century of Progress International Exposition held in Chicago, Ill., beginning June 1, 1933.
The stamps are of the same size as the regular issue, 75/100 by 87/100 inch in dimension, arranged horizontally. Both stamps are enclosed in narrow doubleline borders. The 1-cent stamp is printed in green and the 3-cent stamp in purple.
The central design of the 1-cent stamp depicts old Fort Dearborn, pioneer outpost at Chicago, as restored in 1816. A blockhouse of the old fort appears in the foreground, partly overshadowed below and with a stockade fence extending from each side to the edge of the stamp. In the background are trees and other buildings of the fort. In a short ribbon panel at the top of the stamp are the words "U. S. postage" in solid Gothic. On each side opposite the lower edge of this panel are the dates "1833" at the left and "1933" at the right. Above the blockhouse in a curved line are the words "Chicago Century of Progress" in solid Gothic. In each lower corner is a circular panel with light ground and double-line border enclosing the denomination numeral "1" in solid Roman. In a narrow panel with curved ends and solid background at the base of the stamp is the word "Cent" in white Roman. Abovethe base panel in solid block lettering are the words "Fort Dearborn."
The 3-cent stamp has for a central design a reproduction of the Federal building, with its three massive towers, on the exposition grounds. In a short narrow panel with solid background and white border at the top of the stamp are the words "U. S. postage" in white Roman. Below this top panel and on each side of the upper part of the central tower are the inscriptions "Century of Progress" at the left and "Chicago 1833-1933" at the right in solid Gothic lettering arranged in two lines. In a horizontal line at the base of the central design are the words "Federal Building" in small solid block letters and directly underneath is the word "Cents" in white Roman. Within a circular panel with white border and solid background in each lower corner is the white Roman numeral "III."
The Century of Progress commemorative stamps were first placed on sale May 25, 1933, at the main post office in Chicago, Ill.
SOUVENIR SHEETS OF CENTURY OF PROGRESS COMMEMORATIVE STAMPS-ISSUE OF 1933
This special issue of 1-cent and 3-cent postage stamps of the Century of Progress design in sheets of 25 stamps each was authorized for printing on the stamp press included in the Government exhibit at the Chicago Century of Progress Exposition.
The sheets are approximately 4 3/4 by 5 3/8 inches in dimension, and are ungummed and without perforations. In narrow margins on the four sides of the sheets in small Gothic lettering, corresponding to the color of the denomination, is the following wording: "Printed by the Treasury Department, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, under authority of James A. Farley, Postmaster General, at a Century of Progress. In compliment to the American Philatelic Society for its convention and exhibition, Chicago, Illinois, August 1933."
The special sheets of Century of Progress stamps were first placed on sale August 25, 1933, at the philatelic station, Chicago, Ill., operated in connection with the annual convention of the American Philatelic Society held at the Medinah Michigan Avenue Club, Chicago, August 21-26. The stamps were also placed on sale August 28, 1933, at Chicago Century of Progress Postal Station, Exposition Grounds, for the convenience of visitors.
Stamps of this special printing were not placed on sale at other post offices. They were, however, placed on sale August 28, 1933, at the Philatelic Agency, Post Office Department, for the benefit of stamp collectors.
N.R.A. EMERGENCY POSTAGE STAMP (3-CENT)-ISSUE OF 1933
This special issue of postage stamps was authorized by the Department to direct attention to and arouse the support of the Nation in the National Recovery Act.
The stamp is of the same size as the regular issue, 70/100 by 87/100 inch, and is surrounded by a narrow doubleline border. The stamp is arranged horizontally and is printed in purple ink. At the top of the stamp in dark Roman lettering are the words "D. S. postage."
The principal design, spaced slightly to the right of the center of the stamp, contains figures representing a farmer, a business man, an industrial worker, and a woman employee. Rays of light, as from the rising sun, extend from the upper right corner toward the central group. In the upper part of the space, between the central subject and the left margin, in dark Gothic letters, are the words "Three cents", arranged in two lines, and some distance below, in dark Gothic letters of larger size, is the abbreviation "N. R. A." The denomination is designated by "3 " with in a circle with white background in the lower left corner of the stamp. In a horizontal line along the bottom of the stamp, in small Gothic lettering, are the words "In a common determination."
The N. R. A. stamp was first placed on sale August 15, 1933, at Washington, D.C.
GENERAL KOSCIUSKO COMMEMORATIVE POSTAGE STAMP (5-CENT)-ISSUE OF 1933
The stamp in honor of Gen. Thaddeus Kosciusko was issued in connection with the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of his naturalization as an American citizen.The stamp is of the regulation size, 75/100 by 87/100 inch, printed in blue. Surrounding the stamp is a narrow panel ruled diagonally, bordered by a single inner line with double lines along the outer margin. The likeness of General Kosciusko, modeled from a statue in Lafayette Park, Washington, D.C., appears at the right of the center with top of the pedestal base resting in the lower right corner. In a horizontal line in the upper left portion of the stamp are the words "U. S. postage" in dark Roman. Immediately below this inscription are the words "Five cents" in solid Gothic lettering, beneath which is a scroll like ornament. In the space below is the name "Kosciuszko" in solid Gothic with the dates "1783" and "1933", directly below, arranged in two lines. The denomination designation, "5c", is enclosed in a circular panel with light ground in the lower left corner, behind which is shown a group of trees.
The Kosciusko stamp was first placed on sale October 13, 1933, at Chicago, Ill., Boston, Mass., Detroit, Mich., Kosciusko, Miss., St. Louis, Mo., Buffalo, N.Y., and Pittsburgh, Pa.
LITTLE AMERICA POSTAGE STAMP (3-CENT)ISSUE OF 1933
This stamp was issued for use on letters mailed through the Little America post office, established at the base camp of the Byrd Antarctic Expedition, in the territory of the South Pole.
The stamp is 83/100 by 1 42/100 inches, arranged vertically. The stamp is surrounded by a narrow doubleline border, and is printed in navy blue. Across the top of the stamp is the inscription "Byrd Antarctic Expedition II", arranged in two lines in solid Roman. In the central part of the stamp is a representation of the world. Routes of the several Byrd flights are depicted by dotted lines, with the dates thereof in solid Gothic. Proposed new flights to the Antarctic and to the South Pole are also indicated. The position of the base camp is marked by a solid dark circle, with the wording "Little America" in solid Gothic extending parallel with the meridian to the west of the base. Within a circle with white ground and double-line border, in each lower corner, is the large numeral "3" in solid color. At the bottom of the stamp is a narrow horizontal panel with white ground containing the word "Cents" in solid Gothic. In a ribbon panel directly above, with white ground, are the words "U. S. postage", also in solid Gothic lettering. A clouded effect, heavy below and lighter at the top, forms a background for the central g]obe.
Since the Department had no means of providing for the transportation of this philatelic mail to Little America other than through the facilities of the Byrd Antarctic Expedition, arrangements were made with the expedition to accept covers for mailing through the Little America post office, bearing appropriate postmark, at a service charge of 50 cents for each letter, exclusive of the postage rate of 3 cents. The Little America stamp was first placed on sale October 9, 1933, at the Philatelic Agency, Post Office Department. The stamp was not distributed to post offices for sale to the public.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE